Monday, July 14, 2008

whole food vitamins

Several months ago I went to this great seminar on food at my church. One of the things the speaker said that was totally a light bulb moment for me is that it's important for us to take vitamins that are made from actually fruits and vegetables. Why this was such an "ah ha" moment for me I am not sure, in retrospect, it seems pretty obvious. I went home and looked at Charlie's gummy vitamins that I had been giving him. About one of the only ingredients I could read on the label was of course.... High Fructose Corn Syrup. Wonderful!

So off to Whole Foods I went to see if I could find a better vitamin for him. That is where I discovered Yummi Bears, which are a wholefood vitamin. I am always hesitant to purchase stuff like this because who knows if Charlie will accept or refuse them, but I was determined to try. He never questioned that these were the least bit different from his other gummy vitamins. He still occasionally asks for Spider Man vitamins at Target, but is perfectly content with the healthier version at home!

Below is an image of the nutritional information for Yummi Bear vitamins, much more encouraging than our previous label! I attempted to find an image for the gummy vitamins we use to use, but their website doesn't provide that information.... interesting! Luckily for us, I still have an almost full bottle in my cabinet so you can still compare! Here are the first few ingredients:

glucose syrup (corn), sucrose, gelatin, citric acid, lactic acid, ascorbic acid, di-alpha-tocopheyl acetate, retinyl palmitate, zinc, citrate, biotin, and the list goes on and it never actually mentions a food except black carrot somewhere down the list!

Here is the Yummi Bear label:



post signature

2 comments:

saffron nine said...

Hi,

I greatly enjoyed looking through your blog "greenkiddos.blogspot.com" and found an informative one for health related topics.I have also some health related web sites having good PR.So,I think it would be beneficial for both of us if we will join in a community and become link partners to each other which will help your blog/site in getting more Google values.If you are interested then please contact me at-
saffron.nine(at)gmail.com

Thanks
Saffron

symonds said...

I am very happy to post my comment in this blog. I gathered lot of information from this site.
Supplements from Foods

A Canadian company, Naturally Nova Scotia, makes supplements from foods instead of synthetics. The have vitamin C from fruit, herbal tinctures, green drinks, vitamin D3, and others.