Wednesday, November 28, 2007

a green christmas

This is one of the things I am asking Santa for for Christmas:
One of my new years resolutions is to stop using so many plastic bags (and with all my Target trips that's a lot of bags!!). So I want to start using reusable bags, but a girls got to be fashionable right?! The cute bags are called Envirosacs and you can get them here. You get five different bags depending on what collection you choose and there are five different collections to choose from. They wrap up small into a little clutch bag to make them easy to throw in your console or purse or in my case, diaper bag.

Here are some facts about plastic bag usage that I got from here:
  • Hundreds of thousands of sea turtles, whales and other marine mammals die every year from eating discarded plastic bags mistaken for food.
  • Plastic bags don’t biodegrade, they photodegrade—breaking down into smaller and smaller toxic bits contaminating soil and waterways and entering the food web when animals accidentally ingest.
  • Plastic bags are among the 12 items of debris most often found in coastal cleanups, according to the nonprofit Center for Marine Conservation.
  • Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. That comes out to over one million per minute. Billions end up as litter each year.
  • According to the EPA, over 380 billion plastic bags, sacks and wraps are consumed in the U.S. each year.
  • According to The Wall Street Journal, the U.S. goes through 100 billion plastic shopping bags annually. (Estimated cost to retailers is $4 billion)

Currently I recycle our plastic bags, those of you who live where there is a Publix, they have the containers right out front for you to recycle your bags in, but my goal is to now eliminate them as much as possible from our lives! Also, I am going to attempt to add the plastic bag counter on to my sidebar, so check it out!



post signature

1 comment:

The Roaming Southerner said...

okay, I totally bought some on your recommendation! I have been wanting to get some, but I dont like buying them from one place and using them at another (Cough: trader joes). I hope they work out well!