A lot of people think I am a little over the top or too controlling over what I feed my kids (personally, I think I am pretty lieant). They don't understand why natural and organic foods are so important to me. Here are 5 reasons I want my kids to have as much natural and organic foods as possible ( I could go on and on so I limited myself to 5!):
1. Artificial Hormones- I don't want my children fed tons of unnecessary hormones in the meat, cheese, milk and yogurt.
2. HFCS- High Fructose Corn Syrup- Despite what the lovely ads say, HFCS is not natural. Sure once upon a time it was corn, but that does not make it natural. If my kids are going to have sugar, I want them to eat real sugar, not chemically derived sugar.
3. Artifical colors- Blueberry yogurt should be purple not neon razzmatazz berry blue and lime green yogurt shouldn't even exist! I want my kids to eat healthy foods and not be bought into the advertising/marketing schemes that food companies ploy on kids.
4. Real food- I want my kids to be exposed to real food and lots of varieties of it. I have very picky kids. Sure they would love to eat french fries and chicken nuggets for every meal, but I am their mom and it's my job to expose them to as many healthy choices and varieties of food as possible. Many will be refused, but eventually their paletes will expand and they won't be fearful of things that are actually food, and not just processed junk. (And believe me, my kids are not deprived their nuggets and fries... everything in moderation).
5. Pesticides- pesticides scare me. If they are meant to kill things on fruit and veggies what good could they possible do to my child's insides (or mine for that matter!). With different cancers popping up all around us,I want to prevent as many chemicals as possible from going into my child's body.
If you are interested in exposing your child to more organic food or want to just understand why some of us stand so strong on this issue I highly recommend this article from Dr. Greene. He explains so many of the benefits of natural and organic foods.